miércoles, 31 de marzo de 2010

BREAKFAST IN AMERICA

My nephew Diego challenges me to write the blog in English. So I go.

One of my favourite moments in the days I´ve spent in Savannah is breakfast time. “Breakfast in America” was a famous song by Supertramp. That´s what I have every day. Most of the Inn´s guests stay just a few days so they change continuously. They come from all over the United States and Canada. One of the days there was a phillipine family so it was more a United Nations´ breakfast.

It usually starts at 8:30 and it ends at 10:00. We all sit in the big table of the dinning room of the Inn and enjoy Elaine´s food. Natural juice, coffee or tea, yoghourt with fruits, one big dish and a final dessert. The big dish varies; sometimes it is an Italian bruschetta or sometimes a more American dish with eggs and grits. Grits is a “puré” made of corn that is typical southern food.

The food is delicious but what I really enjoy is the talk. The first question is where are you from but it expands to a lot of subjects: recommendations in Savannah, Spain and Europe in general, travels, jobs, Obama´s project about Health Care,…

I can´t remember everybody but these are some of them:

- A couple from San Antonio that runs a Bed&Breakfast there.

- A couple of Canadians. They are retired now. He was an officer in the Canadian Army and afterwards worked in a bank. She was married previously with a man from Syria and it was a complete disaster. I went with them to have dinner in one of the best restaurants in Savannah, Elizabeth´s, that is included in a list of one of the 1,000 Places to Visit Before Dye.

- A couple of gay men. One of them was in the Navy and the other was a student. I don´t realise their condition, but Elaine told us the day after, because the Canadian man had asked them about the policy on gay subject in the US Army.

- A couple in their honeymoon. They left the Inn one day before expected because she thought the house was haunted. Afterwards I slept in the same room and I didn´t see or listening anything at all, maybe the spirit doesn´t speak spanish.

- A young sculptor from Pasadena and his girlfriend, a cloth designer, from New York.

- A mid-twenty man from New Jersey that has been fired from a financial company and was travelling through the south to think what he would like to do the rest of his life.

- A couple of old ladies from Arkansas that had come for the Homes and Gardens Tour. This is celebrated one weekend a year in Savannah and you can visit several private houses that open their doors. By chance I was in the same tour so we did it together.

- A couple of Canadian men. They have travelled to Florida to pick a friend´s car and they have to drive it back to Toronto, but they were not in a hurry. It was a convertible red car. They plan to visit a lot of cities in their way back.

- A couple from Sarasota (Florida). He plays the french horn in an orchestra and she is music teacher in a school.

- A couple of phillipines that live in Atlanta and were visiting Savannah with two relatives.
- A nice couple from Baltimore. They recommend me to go to Washington for the Cherry Blossom. It is similar to the Jerte´s cherryes but in DC.

- And couples from Atlanta, Nebraska, Alabama, Chicago,…Usually they spend a few days in Savannah or just they stopped here for one day in a travel somewhere, usually to Florida.

As you see it is really Breakfast in America. This is another way of travelling. I met people from several places but I stay in the same place, even in the same table.
Inn at 909 Lincoln St. Savannah. March 31st 2010.

6 comentarios:

  1. I see you don´t waste your time. Very funny the haunted room. You are a really brave man haha I think if the ghost would appear, you had taken this opportunity to speak in english. See you soon in NY again

    ResponderEliminar
  2. Hi, Fran:
    I love the song "Breakfast in America" and I love having breakfast anywhere, but there is a B & B in the USA that Alberto & I love.(We've been there twice, in 1998 and last summer) It's in the Amish county, in Pennsylvania. It's called "Frogtown Acres". It's quite similar to the place you're staying. Everything is home made and the couple who run the B & B are great, Gloria and Joe. Check their website. It's in the middle of Lancaster county which is beautiful and worth visiting.
    By the way, your English is amazing!
    Helena

    ResponderEliminar
  3. I couldn't agree more. Breakfast, good foood, good conversation, people from all over...
    Furthermore, people are well rested, in a good mood and looking forward to chatting. You get to see a cross section of the real America (if there is such a thing) something you don't experience if you just stay in a hotel in a big city and the only people you meet are the ones in shops and so on.
    Boy, your horizons are really widening. Question: What accent is easier for you, Canadian or Savanian?

    hugs

    ResponderEliminar
  4. my dear uncle.
    I have translated the text ´´excelent``
    rodri ´´ni papa``.
    I hope to see you early in Malaga and heard your histories again

    ResponderEliminar
  5. I have reach this entry a bit late, but I feel the impulse to write a comment, because your "picture" have bring to my mind the travel that Ana and myself do along the canadian east coast. We rent a car and drive from one city to another. We decided to stop when we are tired or when the place we were passing really catch us.

    In one of the stops, we look for a little hotel in the city but none of them have a room available. In the last of them, the person in the reception desk recommended us a B&B that have been recently inaugurated. The woman who owned the house was in the 40's and an strange look. Besides that most of our questions were answered with no concrete data (even the price of the room was not concrete). We suppose that she was open her house only one or two days before and we are her first guests. But when we go to sleep we began to image that the house was haunted and the lady was a ghost. We finally decided to put one chair in the door of our room to avoid that somebody may enter in our room !!!

    Yes, when we wake up, we take an american breakfast ;-)

    PD. After reading this entry, I am convinced that the word break-fast is not suitable for your Savanna morning event.

    ResponderEliminar
  6. Hi Fran: I was going to write to you in Spanish, as usual, but I felt like I shouldn't, reading the entries from previous people.

    I just wanted to add few comments.

    Firstly, the picture is great: it makes me wish being there. If we add the human landscape you have described, then it's really worth staying there.

    Secondly, that list of people you have enumerated is really long and, for sure, many of them very interesting as conversation mates. I has surprised me the young man (mid twenties) from New Jersey trying to find what to do "the rest of his live".

    Finally, why are you receiving English classes? I found your command well over the average. Are you looking for the highest grade (100)? ;-)

    Thanks for sharing all these experiences with us: it's very enriching...

    Take care.


    Juan Francisco

    ResponderEliminar